A Glimpse from ED643 Fall 2010

ED644 SYLLABUS

ED644 CALENDAR OF EVENTS

BLOG INSTRUCTIONS

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Second Day


"They may forget what you said but they will never forget how you made them feel." - Carol Buchner


Today's session was pretty good, and very productive. I can see that my student is really starting to warm up to me, and we are getting things done. We went over word lists and one expository story from the QRI-5 to find out the students level. At this point, I'm wondering if it is enough though? I chose two grade levels below the student's actual grade level and I am not too sure if he was motivated by the expository story I chose. Next session though, I am going to try a narrative story from the same level, and see if he is at least motivated to read it. I also let the student draw, which he really loves to do, and by the look of his drawing, he is pretty good. I liked the detail he put into drawing his person, which by the way, he said was him. He also labeled the "wind" since we were reading an expository story on air.
I guess I still am wondering if I am doing the right thing, if I am on the right track. Dr. Rivera mentioned that it was too bad that I don't have some others in the class, to have that "peer" support group, which would have helped. But I know that Dr. Rivera is at my disposal, and I am able to ask for her advice/suggestions.

Quote Taken from: http://ripplemaker.hubpages.com/hub/50_Inspirational_Quotes_for_Teachers
Image Taken from: http://www.freakingnews.com/Hot-Air-Balloons-Pictures--2374.asp

1 comment:

  1. Joe,

    I’m glad that you were able to work on the Word Lists with B.M. to determine his level. Indeed, try administering a narrative story in your next session. Keep in mind that it’s better to have more data than not enough of it. In fact, if there’s not enough data, you may need to extend your session with him or meet on another date(s) to gather the necessary data.

    It’s important that B.M. stay motivated in your sessions with him. Your decision to let him draw capitalizes on his strengths, so that was a good plan. Continue to allow him to do what interests him, but at the same time, ensure that you collect the necessary data for your report.

    Don’t worry, you are doing fine so far. Although you don’t have a peer member to support you along the way, I will be there to guide you. Remember, I am only a keystroke away. Keep up the great work!

    Best regards,
    Dr. Rivera

    ReplyDelete